Pearl barley can no doubt be called the food product that is popular not only in Russia, but also abroad.
The use of this cereal is actively popularized by nutritionists and supporters of a healthy diet.
And if in countries like Europe, Sweden, France, Italy and Germany, cereal is used to prepare a large number of national dishes and even desserts, in Russia there is an unpleasant stereotype about it as a cheap meal for soldiers and prisoners.
In fact, pearl barley contains a large number of useful micro-and macro-elements and amino acids, the lack of which can seriously hit the body. It is for this reason that people who are forced to restrict their diet, often wonder about the use of barley grits: including many wondering if barley is useful in type 2 diabetes. About this and whether it is possible to eat barley porridge with type 2 diabetes, we will describe below.
As already mentioned, pearl barley is a storehouse of useful substances that the body needs for effective work - it contains potassium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, iodine, iron, and also vitamins A, E, D and B groups. Not to mention the large amount of fiber, which has a beneficial effect on the health of the gastrointestinal tract and the process of digestion.
Barley and type 2 diabetes are a good combination because the useful elements of the cereal manifest themselves as follows:
- normalize metabolism;
- increase hemoglobin;
- remove toxins and slags, improving digestion;
- due to phosphorus, brain activity is significantly improved, which is why porridge is recommended to be used by schoolchildren and students;
- they clean the vessels and regulate the amount of cholesterol and sugar in the blood;
- promotes the removal of kidney stones;
- due to the high calcium content, the teeth are strengthened and the growth of nails and hair is accelerated;
- reduce the severity of allergic reactions in allergy sufferers.
For many years, the production of pearl barley is fully regulated by GOST, according to which the grains obtained are sorted according to shape and size.
The standard classification adopted in the Soviet Union is as follows:
- №1 - grains are large and elongated. For the preparation of dishes from this variety of cereals requires a long heat treatment;
- №2 - large round grains, the preparation time of which is significantly lower;
- №3, №4, №5 - grains differ in rather small size and a round form. The processing time depends on the dish: most suitable for soup and boiled porridge.
Barley for type 2 diabetes: can it be or not?
So, is it possible to eat barley with type 2 diabetes? As for the question of including barley dishes in the diet of diabetics, it is not only allowed, but highly recommended for people with diabetes of any type. The pearl barley has a low glycemic index and caloric content.
By itself, pearl barley has a glycemic index of 20-30 units. The glycemic index of pearl barley boiled in water increases slightly, and the pearl barley porridge boiled in milk has a glycemic index in the region of as much as 50-60 units.
Regular consumption of barley porridge can significantly reduce the symptoms of the disease, as well as maintain the level of sugar within the required norm. A balanced diet that includes a small amount of cereal for breakfast (as barley grits are very difficult to assimilate, it is enough to eat it 3-4 times a week), has a beneficial effect on the work of the whole organism.
Thus, due to the above nutrients and beneficial elements, the quality of blood is improved, and, as a result, the cardiovascular system is strengthened. Moreover, barley porridge with type 2 diabetes provides substantial support to the metabolism and well controls the weight of a person, which is no less important for diseases of the endocrine system.
Pearl Barley Soup
Barley porridge with diabetes mellitus type 2 is, of course, great, but sooner or later any person gets bored with a monotonous diet.
Therefore, the menu can be easily diversified with different types of soups, for which barley is also great.
Below are two step-by-step recipes for how to quickly and easily cook a tasty and healthy pearl barley soup.
For cooking, you will need 500 grams of fish, and the best fish heads are pink salmon, trout and striped rasp are best suited for this, as they have a pronounced fish taste. Several potatoes, depending on the number of servings, about 4 - 5 pieces.
A half cup of pearl barley (as the barley is increased several times during the cooking process), as well as a carrot and a small onion for frying. Salt to taste.
- First of all, boil the fish until cooked - 30-40 minutes will be enough for the fish to give "fat" to the broth. Salt to taste;
- catch fish and pour barley into the resulting broth. Cook for 40-50 minutes. If during boiling water boils away - add boiled water from the kettle and watch the salt so that the soup does not turn out to be fresh;
- add potatoes and carrot-onion to soup broth. Cook until cooked;
- 10 minutes before the end of cooking, return the fish to the soup.
Barley soup with mushrooms
For the preparation of this fragrant and healthy soup you will need 500 grams of dried mushrooms (white or aspen mushrooms), half a glass of pearl barley, 3-4 potatoes, one onion and carrot. Salt, pepper and bay leaf to taste.
- soak the mushrooms and boil them for 5 minutes in slightly salted water, then drain and leave for a while;
- parallel to this, pre-salted, put the barley to boil and cook the frying. For more flavor, you can throw a bay leaf;
- fry the onions, add carrots and fry for 10 minutes over medium heat, then add the mushrooms, and fry for another 10 minutes until ready. If you want, you can pepper a little;
- in 40-50 minutes add sliced potatoes to the barley;
- 15 minutes before being ready to add fried onions, carrots and mushrooms.
In fact, there are a huge number of recipes from barley, especially if not limited to one national cuisine. The proposed options for soup with pearl barley to some extent are universal and most common in Russia, but if you wish, you can always discover something new.
Is pearl barley useful in type 2 diabetes as a decoction?
Barley decoction is very often prescribed by doctors to treat problems related to digestion, since the sticky substance easily envelops the stomach walls and heals microcracks and small ulcers.
Also, this decoction is used in the prevention of cancer and their treatment - it is believed that the decoction of pearl barley stops the growth of the tumor and prevents the appearance of metastases.
Precautionary measuresContrary to the fact that the use of pearl barley far exceeds its harm, you should not rush into the pool with your head and sharply introduce the product into the diet in large quantities.
Barley is a very valuable cereal product, but it should be consumed no more than several times a week and preferably in a small amount, because if abused, barley will not fill the body with useful microelements and amino acids, but output them.
Such a load is fraught with problems with the liver - the body runs the risk of not coping with its responsibilities and will begin to cause discomfort. Especially to abuse the barley is not worth the elderly and children, as their stomach, most likely, will not be able to fully digest food.
This does not mean that the barley should be completely eliminated - it is enough to reduce the intake to 1 - 2 times a week and use the dishes exclusively hot, since in the cold they will be absorbed much more difficult.
Possible harm and contraindications
As with any product, pearl barley has not only a benefit, but also minor contraindications, which is why it’s responsible to use barley dishes, and taking into account all the peculiarities of your body:
- you can enter barley in the diet from childhood, but it should not be done before the child turns 4 years old. This is due to the fact that cereals belong to the so-called complex carbohydrates, which are difficult to digest even by an adult organism. As a result, the irrational use of pearl barley dishes can lead to stagnation of food in the stomach and constipation;
- barley porridge and soups are not recommended for women in the position because of possible problems with digestion. Everything else, croup can provoke or aggravate constipation, which is especially undesirable for pregnant women;
- oddly enough, it is also worth for men to limit the use of barley - with its frequent presence in the diet, there is a high risk of provoking problems with potency and seriously lower sexual activity.
Is it possible for barley in type 2 diabetes? How does pearl barley benefit and harm diabetes? How to cook it? Answers in the video:
Summing up, we can say that pearl barley is one of the most valuable grains that nature has given us, but it’s wise to use these gifts. With moderate use of the product, it can have a beneficial effect on human health and help to get rid of many ailments, but if it is thoughtlessly consumed, the croup can cause serious damage to the body. Therefore, before you enter the barley in the diet on an ongoing basis, we strongly recommend to consult with your doctor.