The normal amount of sugar after a meal after one hour should be in a healthy person not more than 6.6 units, and this is the upper limit of the permissible limit. However, in the overwhelming majority of pictures, 1-2 hours after a meal, in humans, sugar varies from 4.4 to 4.6 units, and this is the norm.
There is a lot of information that talks about the dangers of sugar. However, glucose is one of the components that is necessary for the proper functioning of the human body. In addition, it is a source of nutrition for the brain, and there are no analogues.
The level of sugar in the human body during the day constantly varies, for example, sugar in the blood on an empty stomach differs significantly from what indicators of glucose are observed half an hour after a meal.
It is necessary to consider the normal indicators of glucose in the body, find out what is the level of glucose after a meal in a healthy person, and which in a diabetic?
General information about the norm
As a rule, sugar concentration is determined several times by laboratory tests. Initially, the biological fluid intake is carried out on an empty stomach, and at normal, the indicators will not exceed the permissible level of 5.5 units.
The level of sugar in the human body is not constant, it tends to vary throughout the day under the influence of various factors. For example, in the morning on an empty stomach, sugar should normally be lower than 1 hour after a meal.
In addition, other factors also affect glucose concentration - stress, nervous tension, physical activity, catarrhal and infectious diseases.
In a situation where laboratory studies have shown excess glucose, then additional diagnostic measures are assigned to determine whether the patient has diabetes or not.
Consider normal blood sugar levels through the following information:
- During the day, the variability of indicators ranges from 3.3 to 5.5 units (these are standard indicators for adults and children over 11-12 years old).
- Around the middle of the day before a meal, sugar can increase to 6.0 units.
- The level of blood sugar in an hour after eating can reach 8 units, and this is quite normal.
- The rate of blood sugar after a meal (two hours later) to 7.8 units.
If we measure the indicators of sugar in a healthy person, they vary from 3.3 to 4.5 units, which is also accepted in medical practice as normal values.
When studies of sugar on an empty stomach show a result from 6.0 to 7.0, this indicates the development of a pre-diabetic state. This is not to say that a patient has diabetes, but such numbers should be alerted.
In accordance with the detection of such values, the patient is recommended to change his diet, exercise and constantly monitor sugar, to prevent its increase in the body.
Blood testing: basic preparation rules
One blood test, which showed an excess of glucose concentration in the human body, still does not mean anything. Judging by one analysis of the presence or absence of sugar disease, is not fully correct.
The patient takes a biological fluid several hours after a meal, but in no case is it on a full stomach. This study allows you to find out the maximum concentration of glucose in the body.
The level of sugar in the blood after the meal will increase in any case, so it does not matter at all what food the patient consumed. The most ideal option is when several hours have passed since the meal, because at this moment the “peak” of sugar is recorded.
Features research on sugar:
- Before blood sampling you can not change your diet, goes on a diet. This would entail false research results.
- No need to go for analysis after the abuse of alcoholic beverages. This will lead to a false increase in glucose concentration, since alcoholic beverages can increase sugar up to 1.5 times.
- You can not donate blood after excessive physical exertion, the results of the study will be biased.
Sugar in the blood after eating in pregnant women is rarely investigated, since during the period a woman has several other evaluation criteria.
As a rule, normal indicators are slightly exceeded, and the upper limit of the norm can reach 6.4 units.
Low Sugar After Meal
In medical practice, there are other situations where instead of exceeding the sugar indicators after a meal, there is a significant decrease. In this embodiment, it is a hypoglycemic condition.
When a patient on an empty stomach, as well as after a meal, high levels of sugar are detected - this is not normal, and the situation requires correction. First, it is imperative to conduct additional diagnostic measures to confirm or deny diabetes mellitus.
Secondly, differential diagnosis is carried out, allowing to determine a specific disease. This is necessary in order not to confuse diabetes with other ailments, which can also affect blood sugar.
Hypoglycemic condition is diagnosed in the following cases:
- When glucose indicators in women are less than 2.2 units.
- If the indicators of sugar in men less than 2.8 units.
With these figures, one can speak of insulinoma - a tumor formation that has arisen due to the excessive functionality of the pancreas. Such indicators can be diagnosed and a few hours after a meal.
If this happens, the patient is recommended additional research that will help detect pathological education. This is necessary in order to prevent the development of cancer cells.
Blood Sugar After Meals: False Results
In medical practice, there are situations when laboratory tests of a biological fluid provided false results. These errors are based on the fact that the intake of fluid should be carried out on an empty stomach, and not after a meal, when the concentration of glucose naturally increases.
In addition, certain foods affect the performance of sugar, raising it to beyond the limits. Therefore, we can conclude that the analysis after a meal is the level of sugar that rises under the influence of food.
To get reliable results of blood tests on an empty stomach, it is recommended to exclude the following products from your diet:
- Flour and confectionery.
- Honey, jam, candy.
- Pineapples, bananas, grapes.
- All products containing sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates, starch.
These prohibited products with elevated blood sugar in any case significantly increase the concentration of sugar, and if you conduct research two hours after they are consumed, the results may be falsely high.
Therefore, before blood sampling, it is recommended to give preference to products that minimally affect sugar - vegetables, the minimum amount of fruit, cereal.
How to normalize sugar?
As the above information shows, blood sugar after eating is increased not only in diabetics, but also in people who are healthy. And this is quite normal.
However, if a healthy person, after a meal, there is first an increase, and then a gradual decrease in glucose, this process is disturbed in a diabetic, and the glucose concentration can be elevated for a long time.
Definitely, you can return the normal level of sugar after a meal, if you follow certain rules and recommendations. Need to give up bad habits - alcohol and smoking. Alcohol increases sugar up to 1.5 times.
It is recommended to pay attention to the following tips:
- Give preference to foods that are characterized by a low glycemic index. Such food is digested longer, respectively, a lot of sugar is not released immediately.
- Limit consumption of products made from the highest grade flour. Replace them with whole-grain bread, which is enriched with fiber, so it is digested slowly enough, without provoking a sharp increase in sugar.
- Enrich your menu with seasonal vegetables and fruits, which contain a lot of vitamins, minerals and other useful components necessary for a full life.
- It is recommended to eat in small portions (one portion at a time should be placed in the palm) up to 5-7 times a day. You can not overeat, even if the menu includes the "right" food.
- To make in your diet freshly squeezed juice from beets, potatoes. Practice shows that they contribute to the reduction of glucose in human blood.
Apart from the fact that high sugar can lead to the development of diabetes mellitus, this pathological condition is characterized by various negative consequences: a violation of the functionality of the immune system, a disorder of metabolic processes, etc.
Normal indicators of sugar - is the key to the full functionality of the whole organism. Therefore, glucose should always be monitored, and for this it is not necessary to constantly go to the clinic. In the pharmacy, you can purchase a special device - it is a blood glucose meter which can monitor the performance of sugar at home.
In the video in this article, the doctor will tell you how and when to measure the level of sugar in the blood.