Normally, the upper limit of blood glucose should be no more than 5.5 units. Its significant increase may indicate the presence of any abnormal processes in the body. Moreover, the higher this indicator, the more dangerous the situation.
Rates and deviations
Glucose levels can act as an indicator of the presence of pathologies in both adults and children. In order to carry out its verification, it is necessary on an empty stomach to draw blood from a vein or finger.
Worldwide approved standards are as follows:
- In children up to 1 month - from 2.8 to 4.4;
- Up to 14 years - from 3.3 to 5.5;
- In adults - from 3.5 to 5.5.
The indicator below the established norm indicates the occurrence of hypoglycemia, above - hyperglycemia. Such deviations may indicate the appearance of reversible and irreversible disruptions in the body, which are important to timely eliminate.
Level 14 hyperglycemia is a dangerous phenomenon, suggesting that insulin produced by the pancreas does not cope with sugar entering the blood. The reasons for its occurrence can be many.
Reasons for a significant increase in glucose
Causes may be pathological and physiological.
The release of large amounts of glucose into the blood can occur in the following cases:
- With physical training and hard work;
- By eating foods rich in simple carbohydrates;
- During a long mental activity;
- Due to improper diet;
- Under severe stress, fear, severe fright.
At the same time, the phenomenon does not pose a great danger to a person, and if the cause is eliminated, the amount of sugar is normalized without auxiliary means.
Pathological causes (with the exception of diabetes)
An increase in glucose may be due to abnormalities in the body that require treatment. Among the most frequent of them are:
- Pain shock, severe pain;
- Epilepsy attack;
- Disruption of the hormonal level;
- Traumatic injuries of the skin, muscles and bones;
- Brain damage;
- Liver disease;
- Stroke, heart attack.
The development of diabetes always begins with a so-called pre-diabetic condition, characterized by hyperglycemia and impaired carbohydrate metabolism.
Prediabetes can have two forms:
- Elevated sugar fasting;
- Change in sugar tolerance.
Such a problem can be identified by glucose tests in the morning before breakfast. If found, it should be immediately removed so that it does not develop into a full-fledged disease.
If a person with diabetes does not monitor glucose levels, does not follow a diet, and does not take enough insulin, he may experience hyperglycemia.
However, even if the regime is fully complied with, a negative phenomenon may also appear for a number of other reasons:
- Lack of physical activity;
- The occurrence of other pathologies and infections;
- Pancreatic diseases;
- Depression and stress;
- Fasting and overeating;
- Bad habits;
- Medication intake;
- Disorders of the liver.
What to do if blood sugar is 14 or higher? With a sharp increase in the patient's well-being deteriorates: there is a strong thirst, fatigue and fast fatigue, increased appetite, nausea.
If at the same time the meter shows glucose level of 14 units and above, the following steps should be taken:
- Call an ambulance;
- Loosen clothing to ease the breathing of the patient;
- In the presence of nausea and vomiting of the patient should be laid on its side;
- Monitor the patient's condition (breathing, pulse) before the ambulance arrives.
For the immediate elimination of the disease requires the introduction of insulin. The procedure will be able to conduct an ambulance doctor, he will determine the necessary dosage of the medicine.
Elimination of sustained hyperglycemia
More often it is diabetes possible fasting blood sugar 14. What should I do if this situation occurs?
It is necessary to treat diabetes right from the moment of detection; in this case, hyperglycemia of a critical degree will be rare. However, if an excess has occurred, it is first necessary to turn to insulin and medicines. And to prevent the recurrence of violations will help preventive measures.
The main cure for a single case or systematic hyperglycemia in diabetes is insulin in the form of injections. Therefore, the first step in the detection of pathology is to make an injection. The admission of a regime medication is not allowed.
The following drugs will help in the correction of glucose:
- Sulfonylurea derivatives. Medications contribute to a smooth reduction of hyperglycemia and maintain a therapeutic effect for a long time.
- Biguanides (Siofor, Metfohamma, Glucophage). Preparations of this type do not affect the work of the pancreas and have a prolonged effect.
By the type of exposure auxiliary drugs can be divided into three groups:
- Stimulating insulin production (Diabeton, Maninil, Amaryl);
- Strengthening the sensitivity to the hormone (Aktos, Glucophage);
- Obstructing the absorption of sugars (Glukobay).
Only a qualified doctor can select drugs, because when taken together and in violation of dosages, they can cause hypoglycemia. In addition, they have their own side effects.
If hyperglycemia is a consequence of the development of other accompanying pathologies in the body, they also require certain treatment.
To eliminate hyperglycemia and maintain a positive result for a long time, it is important to restore the correct diet.
To do this, follow the basic rules for drawing up the daily menu:
- Choose only dietary meat and fish;
- Daily eat cereals and complex carbohydrates. It is important that the grain is not refined;
- Do not abuse dairy products of all kinds;
- Reduce the amount of flour;
- Choose unsweetened fruit.
Confectionery, muffins, harmful products, alcohol should be completely excluded from the diet.
Recipes of traditional medicine can have a good therapeutic effect. However, they must be chosen with special care. It is also important that their use is approved by the attending physician.
The following most effective and safe means are known:
- Bay leaf. For every ten sheets, prepare 250 milliliters of boiling water, cover the mixture for a day. Take 50 milliliters of infusion four times a day before meals.
- Egg mix. Beat a raw egg, squeeze the whole juice of one whole lemon into it. Take on an empty stomach three times a day in a tablespoon.
- Turmeric. Mix a spoonful of seasoning with a glass of warm water. Drink this mixture twice a day: in the morning and in the evening.
Elimination of hyperglycemia in the absence of diabetes
As a rule, if sugar rises in the absence of diabetes, it normalizes by itself. If this does not happen, you need to adjust the diet, eliminating from the diet of high-carbohydrate foods.
If hyperglycemia persists, this may indicate the occurrence of prediabetes or other body pathologies. Therefore, in this case, an immediate visit to the doctor is necessary.
Raising the level of glucose in the blood to critical levels can be a dangerous phenomenon for a person that can cause serious complications. In addition, it may indicate the presence of violations of the organs, as well as non-compliance with diabetes.
In order to prevent this, it is necessary to properly formulate the diet and undergo prevention.