Subtleties of production and composition of isomalt
- First, sugar is obtained from sugar beet, which is processed into a disaccharide.
- Two independent disaccharides are obtained, one of which is combined with hydrogen molecules and a catalytic converter.
- In the final, it turns out a substance resembling the usual sugar and to taste, and in appearance. When eating isomalt, there is no feeling of light chill on the tongue inherent in many other sugar substitutes.
Isomalt: the benefits and harm
- This sweetener has a fairly low glycemic index - 2-9. The product is allowed for use by people suffering from diabetes mellitus also because it is very poorly absorbed by the intestinal walls.
- Like sugar, isomalt is a source of energy for the body. After receiving it, an energy boost is observed. A person feels incredibly vigorous and this effect lasts for quite a long time. Isomalt carbohydrates are not delayed, but immediately consumed by the body.
- The product fits well into the confectionery, it is wonderfully combined with dyes and flavors.
- There are only 2 calories per gram of isomalt, that is, exactly two times less than in sugar. This is a very important argument for those who are on a diet.
- Isomalt in the oral cavity does not interact with acid-forming bacteria and does not contribute to the occurrence of caries. It even reduces acidity somewhat, which allows tooth enamel to recover faster.
- This sugar substitute, to some extent, has the properties of plant fiber - once in the stomach, it causes a feeling of its fullness and satiety.
- Sweets prepared with the addition of isomalt have very good external indicators: they do not stick to each other and other surfaces, retain their original shape and volume, and do not soften in a warm room.
Isomalt with diabetes
Isomalt does not cause an increase in glucose and insulin. On its basis, they are now producing a wide range of products intended for diabetics: cookies and sweets, juices and drinks, dairy products.
All these products can also be recommended for people on a diet.
The use of isomalt in the food industry
Confectioners are very fond of this product, because it is very malleable when making various shapes and forms. Professional craftsmen use isomalt when decorating cakes, pies, muffins, sweets and cakes. On its basis, gingerbread cookies are baked and gorgeous candies are made. To taste, they are not inferior to sugar.
Isomalt is also used as a dietary supplement for diabetics in nearly one hundred countries of the world. It is authorized by such serious institutions as the Joint Committee on Food Additives, the Scientific Committee on Food of the European Community and the World Health Organization.
According to their conclusions, isomalt is recognized to be absolutely harmless and harmless to people, including those who are sick with diabetes. And it can be consumed daily.